Happy National S’mores Day! If you’re celebrating this delicious holiday by gathering around a bonfire to make some homemade snacks, make sure you check out these safety tips before lighting up:
- Build your bonfire at least 60 feet away from anything flammable, like houses, sheds and trees.
- Do not build a fire on the surface of the ground; rather, dig a hole that is at least 12 to 18 inches deep.
- Do not burn leaves, paper or combustible materials.
- Stick to dry wood, not fresh greenery, for burning.
- Keep a bucket of water handy in case the fire gets too big.
- Check the weather conditions, and never build a bonfire if it’s too windy or dry outside.
After your bonfire activities are done and the fire has burnt itself out, make sure you douse the area with water. Doing so ensures that all flames are extinguished from the ashes.