Our family of brands has been involved with many wonderful activities and organizations, and we are proud to be able to give back to the communities we serve. Here’s a recap of some of our contributions to our community this year:
Children’s Miracle Network
Many of our brands are partners of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, an organization that helps raise funding to give much-needed care to sick and injured children.
- As a member of the Miracle Million Club, Direct Energy pledges $1 million each year to support Texas Children’s Hospital.
- Direct Energy Protection Plans in the month of October donated $1 for each new plan sold.
- As a part of their monthly charity partnership, Bounce Energy has pledged $2,500, plus $0.50 for each new follower on Bounce social pages, to several Children’s Miracle Network hospitals this year.
- Home Warranty of America throughout October donated $1 for every new home warranty sale or renewal.
- Participating locations of our services brands, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing®, One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning® and Mister Sparky® electricians are donating $100 for every new purchase of equipment from October to December 2017.
- 595 Direct Energy employees donated 1,430 hours participating in activities to support six CMN Hospitals across the nation.
Overall, our family of brands has contributed $2,334,369 to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals this year. We are so glad to have helped kids get the care they needed.
Families in Texas and Florida were struck with the devastating effects of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, and many are still recovering. Many of our employees in these areas were affected by the storms. We were proud to see our local teams come together to help fellow employees, as well as other members of the impacted communities. In Houston, 618 of our employees volunteered over 2,330 hours to support those affected.
We also had the opportunity as an organization to financially contribute to relief efforts. Through our new bill assistance donation platform, we set up a relief fund for donations to the Red Cross. Thanks to the generosity of donors, we raised $50,218. We also gave an additional $50,000 to help fund relief, and sent solar-powered Luci lights to areas without power in Houston, Corpus Christi and Puerto Rico.
In the wake of Harvey, we suspended disconnections for customers and created a prepaid plan to make it easier for customers to have power while they recover from the storm. Direct Energy Business has provided $1 million in donations in the form of bill credits to small business customers in affected areas.
Each year we recognize a few amazing college students who are not only academically outstanding, but also impactful members of their communities. Both Direct Energy and Bounce Energy provide scholarships to help deserving students power though their college education. This year, we gave away a total of $17,500 to these incredible young people.
Helping Texans Pay Their Bills
Many families in Texas need help paying their electric bills; with the end of the Texas Public Utility Commission’s Lite-Up program, that help is more crucial than ever. Our energy brands’ Neighbor-to-Neighbor programs facilitate donations to families who are struggling to pay their electric bills so that they can stay comfortable in their homes. Thanks to the generosity of our donors, we have raised over $37,000 to help Texans keep their lights on.
Our family of brands is thrilled to be able to give back to the communities we serve. We want to say thanks to all of our employees, customers and donors who have helped us help so many this year.