As the 2012 hurricane season kicks-off, we felt it was important to have an internal lunch-n-learn this afternoon for Direct Energy employees to refresh our brains on what to do in case of an emergency. Our internal meteorologist, Beau Gjerdingen, was able to provide some great insight into the 2012 season, as well as some preparation tips in order to keep yourself and your family safe. Below are some key tips from today’s lunch-n-learn.
- Have a Disaster Supply Kit ready with supplies such as: bottled water, canned food, first aid kit, flashlight with batteries, and important family documents such as birth certificates, insurance/bank account information
- If electricity goes out, it will be incredibly hard to use your credit cards. Make sure you have plenty of cash so you can still purchase items. $1 are most important as many stores will not have a lot of change
- Keep the gas tank in your car at least half full at all times
- Write down family/emergency numbers from your cell phone in case the battery dies
- Have an evacuation route planned. To view an evacuation map by zip code visit http://www.hcoem.org/.
What are some tips you have to prepare for weather emergencies?