With students preparing for the upcoming school year, it may seem like summer is coming to an end, but the summer heat is still in full swing! Instead of cranking up the air conditioning, which can increase your electric bills, try some of these eco-friendly tips for beating hot August days:
- Cool off with cool colors: nix clothes in dark hues, and instead opt for light colored, loose-fitting attire.
- Draw the curtains: to keep the hot sun from seeping into your house, close your curtains and blinds.
- Do your laundry/dishes at night: wait until the evening to run your washing machine or dishwasher.
- Plant shade trees: to help promote shade and block the sun, plant shade-bearing trees outside of your windows.
- Eat fresh foods: instead of items that require cooking and baking, use fresh fruits and veggies to create your meals.
- Drink plenty of ice water!