EnergyStar.gov estimates a properly used programmable thermostat can save $180 off energy costs. Unfortunately, too many of us don’t take the time or even know how to program the thermostat we have at home
Wouldn’t it be convenient if there was one that could learn and adapt to your lifestyle?
Well, you’re in luck! The Nest Learning Thermostat learns your use habits and programs itself by tracking your daily rhythms and how you set your home’s temperature. It then delivers customized settings and more efficient climate control than a plain-old programmable thermostat. Even better: it’s compatible with 95% of home heating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, including gas, electric, oil, solar, hot water, geothermal, forced air, heat pump, and radiant systems.
Best yet: 3 out of 4 Nest users report installing the Nest themselves in 30 minutes or less. Who wouldn’t love DIY installation that helps you manage your energy usage with ease and convenience? You can get the Nest Learning Thermostat working for you in just a few basic steps.
- Turn off your HVAC system at the circuit breaker box.
- Dismantle your current thermostat. Visit Thermostat Recycling Corporation to learn how to dispose of your old thermostat safely.
- Label each wire using the easy-peel self-adhesive blue and white wire labels provided by nest so you know what they are and then disconnect them from the old thermostat.
- Unscrew and remove the old thermostat’s mounting frame.
- Get out the new Nest Thermostat base and place it on the wall. Pull the wire through the hole in its center. The base has a built-in bubble level to help you mount your Nest level on the wall. An optional trim plate is included to cover up large holes, if needed.
- Connect the wires to your Nest. There are grip connectors on the base plate labeled for the wire terminals, so just push one down and insert the corresponding wire into the little hole. Straighten the wire ends before you push them in place to make this easier. Once that’s done, push any extra wire back into the wall to allow the Nest Thermostat display to fit flush to the base.
- Attach the device display by pressing it gently until it clicks into place.
- Turn on the circuit breakers.
Congratulations – you’re done! The Nest Learning Thermostat will turn on and then guide you through the setup process, including how to connect to Wi-Fi so you can control it with your smartphone, tablet, or laptop from anywhere using the Nest App.