It’s a rather obvious statement – the less energy you use, the lower your energy bill will be. However, during the heat of the Texas summer (or during that occasional freak winter storm), everyone starts using their HVAC system on full blast to keep their homes comfortable. And while this reaction is understandable, it also places LOTS of stress on the electricity grid, which can result in brownouts (and worse) from people attempting to draw more energy from the grid than actually exists.
Well, Direct Energy has devised an ingenious solution to this problem, and you’ll receive all the benefits! With our new Reduce Your Use Rewards Program, Texas customers will receive a 5% discount on their bills simply by lowering their energy usage during an “Emergency Event” (compared to their calculated baseline usage).
Here’s how it works:
- An “Emergency Event” happens when extreme temperatures result in increased energy usage that brings the energy supply to dangerously low levels
- Direct Energy will inform you in advance of when an “Emergency Event” is scheduled to occur
- You will be notified of the event by text message and/or e-mail (depending upon the notification preferences you choose), complete with ways to use less energy.
- On the day of the “Emergency Event,” you will need to reduce your usage between 1pm-7pm on summer days and between 6am-9am and 6-pm-8pm on winter days
- If you lower your usage to the necessary levels, you’ll receive a 5% discount as a bill credit on your next bill.
It’s really that simple – use less electricity when the Texas energy grid needs it most, and your bill will be lower because of overall decreased usage AND the possible discount reward.
To sign up with Reduce Your Use Rewards from Direct Energy, simply log into your Online Account Manager and click the “Reduce Your Rewards” link in the “Special Offers” icon at the top of the screen. You’ll need to let us know how you want us to contact you when an event happens so you know when and how to use less electricity.
Hopefully, we won’t have to face an “Emergency Event” in the future, but if it happens, Direct Energy will let you know so that you can save energy and money!