With summer coming to an end, Labor Day weekend is a great time for one last summer holiday trip. Celebrations around the country feature music, local food, vintage cars and more. If you’re looking for a long weekend getaway, here are some Labor Day events taking place around the country:
- The 38th annual Chicago Jazz Festival features weekend-long free performances by multiple jazz greats from across the U.S.
- The Frankfort Fall Festival in Frankfort, Illinois regularly attracts some 300,000 people. It’s been ranked the 11th best festival in the country by Sunshine Magazine. Artisans, food vendors, activities, rides and live musicians fill the historic downtown.
- The 50th Annual Marshall County Blueberry Festival in Plymouth, Indiana features tons of activities, including a blueberry stomp, hot air balloon launch, fireworks and myriad blueberry dishes over the weekend.
- At the Great Pershing Balloon Derby in Brookfield, Missouri, dozens of hot air balloons take flight, while attendees below enjoy arts and crafts, games, a dance and live entertainment.
- The Upper Arlington (Ohio) Labor Day Arts Festival showcases more than 200 artists in various mediums, along with chances for participants to create their own works, plus live music and concessions.
- The Milwaukee (Wisconsin) Laborfest hosted by the Milwaukee Area Labor Council offers a parade with participation from thousands of area union members, a vintage car show, family-friendly games and activities, live music and even live professional wrestling.
- The Romeo Peach Festival in Romeo, Michigan, dates back to 1931 and offers family fun such as parades, bed races, car shows, a 5K and 10K, craft shows and the crowning of a Peach Queen.
- The Blue Cross RiverRink Summerfest along the Delaware River waterfront in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, showcases the city’s outdoor roller-skating rink and offers games, rides, an arcade and concessions.
- Brooklyn, New York, features its West Indian American Labor Day Parade on the holiday, displaying a wide variety of steel band music, calypso and soca (soul of calypso) music in a carnival atmosphere.
- San Diego, California, celebrates its Festival of Sail all weekend; it’s billed as the largest tall ship festival on the West Coast and offers cannon battles, kids’ activities, bay cruises and a street fair.
We hope everyone has a great and safe Labor Day weekend!