In light of the super-hot temperatures that have beset Texas the past few days, we are continuing the Peak Event that was announced yesterday. This means you have a chance to help out ERCOT and the Texas energy grid and receive a bill credit in return!
How will this work? It’s pretty simple: If you lower your home energy usage by 10% compared to your calculated baseline usage from 1pm to 7pm on Friday, July 31st, 2015, you will earn a 5% bill credit on your upcoming electricity bill from us.
When you reduce your usage during this time period, you are working with your fellow Texans to lower the stress felt by the energy grid used by most of the Lone Star State. And sure, we all want to be cool when it’s extra hot in the summer, but we can’t all crank down our air conditioners at the same time. So, here are a few tips to keep your home comfortable and save that 10% so you can earn that 5% bill credit:
- Join the #78DegreeChallenge by setting your home thermostat to 78 degrees
- Turn on a fan or two to circulate the air, rather than overusing your air conditioner
- Hold off using your major appliances – dishwasher, laundry stuff, etc. – until after 8pm
- Close any blinds and shades on windows letting in sunlight
- Unplug any electronic devices not in use
Thanks for helping us save energy when it’s needed most, Texas!