Happy Monday! We hope you had a fun, energy efficient weekend. Now, who’s hungry? Today we’re looking at ways to keep your family full without consuming a ton of energy. That’s why when trying to reduce your use, the kitchen is a great place to start.
- Turn down the heat! Lightly boiling water has the same effect as extra bubbly water (water also boils faster when covered)!
- Nuke it! Microwaves use much less energy and cook food faster than conventional stoves.
- Slow cookers are one of the best and tastiest ways to save energy in the kitchen. The low-and-slow method cooks your food with small amounts of energy.
- Have a designated recycling bin in your kitchen to encourage family members to dispose of items properly.
- Think about replacing old appliances with new ones, starting with your refrigerator. ENERGY STAR-certified fridges use 15 percent less energy than non-certified ones.
As you embark on the week, try to think ahead and plan your meals. Menu planning will help reduce waste and energy use, save time and keep your pocketbook full! If you need some kitchen inspiration, be sure to visit our energy efficient recipes board on Pinterest!