How does deregulation work?
While choosing Direct Energy, the consumer will continue to have their delivery provided by their current local utility. Marketers, like Direct Energy, buy electricity or natural gas supply for its customers and have it delivered to the local utility. The utility then distributes the electricity or natural gas to the customer.
Why is deregulation beneficial?
Under deregulation, marketers purchase electricity or natural gas at wholesale and may be able to sell it at a lower price.
- Price protection (with a wider variety of pricing options)
- Competitive prices may now be available to the consumer
- More product plans are available for customers
- Prices may be stabilized for the consumer
- Larger selection of products that support customer needs (ex., Green Products)
- Freedom of choice