At Direct Energy, your privacy is important to us. We are committed to maintaining the confidentiality, security and accuracy of your personal information. This Privacy Code (the "Privacy Code") describes the personal information that Direct Energy collects, how we use it and to whom that information may be disclosed.
This code applies to your use of all of the websites and on-line services owned or operated by Direct Energy and any other website that we may own or operate currently or in the future (collectively, the "Sites"). Unless we say otherwise, all references to the Sites in this code include all such sites.
This code does not apply to your use of unaffiliated websites to which any of the Sites are linked. Direct Energy is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content on linked sites. We recommend that you carefully read the privacy policies of each site you visit.
This code covers personal information collected on the Sites and any personal information-collected and through our on-line services.
This Privacy Code covers the activities of:
- Direct Energy, LP
- CPL Retail Energy, LP
- WTU Retail Energy, LP
- Direct Energy Service LLC
- Energy America, LLC
What is Personal Information?
For the purposes of this Privacy Code, "personal information" means information about an identified or identifiable individual. This does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization when used for business communications.
This Privacy Code does not cover the personal information collected from or about our employees.
This Privacy Code does not cover information about our business customers.
The Personal Information We Collect
We collect and maintain different types of personal information about individuals with whom we interact. This information includes:
- Contact and identification information, such as name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date and place of birth, and driver's license number;
- Product and service related information;
- Credit and financial information such as billing and credit history or payment history, and employment and income information;
- Customer relationship information, such as customer service requests; and
- Business relationship information.
We may also collect market-related information, which may include personal information, concerning market trends and activities impacting our business. This information may include contract terms, financial information and other information for the purpose of market analysis and strategic planning. This information may also include information related to our media and public relations activities and information related to our interactions with financial and other analysts and advisors.
Where permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements, we may collect information about you without your knowledge or consent.
The Purposes for Collecting Personal Information
Direct Energy collects personal information to allow us to manage and develop our business and operations, including:
- Establishing, managing and terminating business relations with you;
- Reviewing the products and services that we provide to you;
- Obtaining credit approval;
- Informing you of our products and services other than those that you have specifically requested;
- Informing you of products and services Direct Energy or carefully selected third parties may wish to offer you;
- Responding to your comments or requests for information;
- Protecting us against error, fraud, theft and damage to our goods and property;
- Enabling us to comply with applicable law or regulatory requirements; and
- Any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your personal information may be disclosed when, for example, it is:
- Permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements;
- Part of Direct Energy's regular reporting activities to other Direct Energy subsidiaries in and outside of the United States;
- To protect the rights and property of Direct Energy;
- During emergency situations or where necessary to protect the safety of a person or group of persons;
- Personal information that is already available to the public;
- To employees, contractors, consultants and other parties (including other members of Direct Energy) who require the information to assist us to establish, maintain and manage our business relationship with you, including, for example, third parties that provide services to us or on our behalf or third parties that collaborate with Direct Energy in the provision of services to you;
- To another party, in the event of a change in ownership of all or a part of Direct Energy through some form of merger, purchase, sale, lease or amalgamation or other form of business combination, provided that the parties are bound by appropriate agreements or obligations which require them to use or disclose your personal information in a manner consistent with the use and disclosure provisions of this Privacy Code, unless you consent otherwise.
We may use or disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements to do so.
Safeguarding Personal Information
Direct Energy will endeavor to safeguard personal information using methods that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
Accuracy of Personal Information
It is important that the personal information Direct Energy holds about you is accurate and current. Direct Energy requires you to keep us informed of changes to any personal information.
Accessing Your Personal Information
If you want to know what personal information Direct Energy holds about you or wish to change personal information that is inaccurate or out of date, please contact us as described below. It may not always be possible to completely remove or modify information in our databases, although we will make reasonable efforts to do so upon your request.
Privacy of Children
We understand that children need special safeguards and privacy protection. We realize that they may not understand all the provisions of our code or be able to make thoughtful decisions about the choices that are made available to our adult users. We strongly urge all parents to participate in their children's use of the Internet and any online services, and to teach their children about protecting their personal information while online.
The Sites are not directed to children. We do not sell products or services for purchase by children. We will not knowingly collect personal information from children.
To get more information about Direct Energy's Privacy Code or to make a complaint under this Privacy Code, you can contact us:
c/o Compliance Department
12 Greenway Plaza Suite 250
Houston, TX 77046
Revisions to this Privacy Code
Direct Energy may from time to time make changes to this Privacy Code to reflect changes in legal or regulatory obligations or changes in the manner in which we deal with personal information. We will post any revised version of this Privacy Code on our website. This Privacy Code was last updated on June 7, 2013.
This Privacy Code does not create or confer on any individual or on Direct Energy any rights, or impose on Direct Energy any obligations beyond any rights conferred or obligations imposed by Legislation.
Last Amended: June 7, 2013