Benefits of Pure Texas Wind Plan™
Supporting new wind generation facilities in Texas
Your electricity will be 100% renewable and 99% air pollution-free.
The Advantages of Wind Power
- It’s 99% air pollution free, which means it’s much cleaner than power generated from fossil fuels or nuclear energy.
- It doesn’t run out, so it reduces demand for non-renewable energy sources such as coal, oil and natural gas.
- As more people use it and technological improvements are made, it will continue to become more affordable.
||Pure Texas Wind Plan|
|Renewable Energy Credit Source
||Wind Power created right here in the Lone Star State|
||100% renewable energy|
||No hazardous emissions|
Minimum environmental impact
99% air pollution-free
Want to know more? Here are some Renewable FAQs.
What is renewable energy?
It represents energy resources that are naturally replenishing but flow limited. They are virtually inexhaustible in duration, but limited in the amount of energy that is available per unit of time. Other examples of renewable energy resources include: biomass, hydro, geothermal, solar, wind, ocean thermal, as well as wave and tidal action.
What is wind energy?
This is kinetic energy present in wind motion that can be converted into mechanical energy for driving pumps, mills, and electric power generators.
How do wind turbines work?
Blades catch the wind and spin --then a generator converts the mechanical energy into electricity. Cables carry electricity to the transmission lines for use.
What happens if the wind stops blowing?
There is no interruption in service when the wind isn't blowing. When you choose to buy renewable energy from an electric provider, you are simply telling them that you want a certain percentage of your power to come from renewable sources. That percentage of renewable power is then produced or purchased from another power generator and placed in the utility's power supply. The actual electricity that finds its way to your home or business may not have been generated from renewable sources, but by choosing renewable power you help reduce the amount of nonrenewable energy used statewide.
Where does this renewable energy come from?
The power comes from right here in Texas.
Is renewable energy more expensive?
Generating power from renewable sources is generally more expensive than burning fossil fuels. However, electricity from renewable sources may become a more-affordable alternative as the cost of fossil fuels rises and technological innovations increase the efficiency of wind farms. The cost should also decrease as more power transmission lines are built to carry renewable-produced power to those parts of the state that need.
Where does my energy come from now?
Unless you're on a renewable plan now, your current retail electrical provider likely uses fossil fuels such as coal and gas for their power generation.
This program is for New Customers only
The electricity plan presented above is for new customers only in the Dallas or Houston service areas. If you are a current Direct Energy customer and have questions about your existing account, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-888-305-3828.
Did you know?
- Texas has the highest renewable energy potential in the U.S., based on its climate and size
- The state's potential for energy generated by wind power is almost twice as much as our current peak electric demand.
- Last year, 2.5 million megawatts of electricity was generated in Texas by renewable sources. That number should increase significantly over the next few years
- The state's first large commercial wind farm was built back in 1995. Today there are more than 31 wind farms in Texas.