An Overview of Direct Energy
Who We Are
We're a large company with a history of impressive growth. Direct Energy was acquired by Centrica, plc in 2000 and has steadily grown to more than 6 million customer relationships in our North American footprint. We're backed by and are a wholly owned subsidiary of Centrica, plc with over 20 million customers on both sides of the Atlantic. Centrica is financially strong, holds an A-credit rating from S&P, and is traded on the London Stock Exchange under the symbol CNA.
Where We Are
In North America, Direct Energy operates in 46 US states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We are:
- Ranked as the #1 competitive retail energy supplier in North America according to DNV KEMA
- The 3rd largest retail electricity provider out of nearly 50 in Texas
- Ranked as the #1 North American home services provider
- Ranked as the #3 C&I retailer of annual volumes in North America2
- Operate nearly 30 brands across four lines of business in North America supplying a complete portfolio of energy services to a base of more than 80 million potential customers
How We Operate
We're a fully integrated energy company. Our lines of business include Direct Energy Supply and Trading, Direct Energy Residential, Direct Energy Business, and Direct Energy Services. We source, generate, trade, supply, service, and help consumers save on electricity and natural gas.
Company Fact SheetCompany Fact Sheet
2KEMA, March 2010