Welcome to the Smart Products Review series, courtesy of Direct Energy. In this series, we’ll introduce you to the newest and best products in the connected home market, with a specific focus on introducing you to the right items to help you create your own smart home. While our recommendations aren’t specific endorsements of these products or companies, they do reflect what we feel are leading devices in the connected home space.
In the Laundry Room
We’ve explored several rooms of the house as we learn how to create a connected home for the 21st century. This month, we’ll discuss a room that rarely receives any attention – unless it’s time for some chores. Well, unbeknownst to most of us, the laundry room is getting smarter, too. All the major appliance companies have developed lines of smart washer and dryers. Not only will they notify you when the washing and drying cycles are completed, but they also let you schedule future cycles with the convenience of a smartphone app.
Upgrade to a New Washer and Dryer
The Smart ThinQ Washer from LG allows you to monitor your laundry remotely and also gives you option of downloading new and improved cycles without having to invest in whole new washer. They also come smart-grid-ready, which means your washer automatically runs when electricity prices are lowest.
Its counterpart – the LG Smart ThinQ Dryer – also connects to your home Wi-Fi network and comes with a smartphone app that helps you monitor the cycles and start/stop them at your convenience.
Upgrade Your Current Washer and Dryer
Say you already have a washer and dryer and don’t want to spend a fortune on buying new ones with new connected features. We don’t blame you! It’s why we recommend this new smart home adapter introduced by Samsung. Compatible with certain specific Samsung models, it lets you control and monitor the activity of your washer and dryer remotely.
Check the remaining cycle time, receive alerts when the cycle is complete, and schedule cycles right from your smartphone. It also alerts you when laundry has been left in the dryer.
Monitor Your Washer and Dryer
- Start with a SmartThings Hub and SmartSense Multi Sensor.
- Place the sensor on the side or on top of your washing machine.
- Configure the “Laundry Monitor” option in the SmartThings app to notify you when a washing or drying cycle is complete.
- The sensor detects vibrations to let you know when the machine is finished.
You can also configure the app to notify you if your washer or dryer stops vibrating between cycles.
Water Leak Detector
This option can be a useful and important addition to the laundry room. It can let you know when a water line has been damaged or has burst so you can take timely action to prevent water damage to your appliances and your home.
While many existing home security systems come with some kind of water leak detection system, here are two recommended products:
- Wally comes with a set of water leak detectors you can place in different rooms of your home. The sensors will detect water leaks and also measure humidity and temperature of the surroundings. This will not only improve the security, but also tells you how weatherized your home is.
- The Samsung SmartThings Water Leak sensor sends you alerts if there is a water leak in the home or if there is unexpected change in temperature.
Good luck building your connected laundry room!
In the next installment of the Smart Products Review series, we’ll help you integrate your multimedia room / home theater into the rest of your smart home!