Welcome to Direct Your Dining! This cooking series will introduce you to energy efficient recipes full of tips to keep your meals delicious without using every appliance in the kitchen. Preparing recipes with energy efficiency in mind at least once a week will make cooking a little easier, and may even help reduce your monthly electricity bill. Check in every week for a new recipe full of flavor and creativity that will surely impress your friends and family.
It’s the second week of 2017, so I wanted to share another no-cook recipe that can help you keep your healthy eating goals for the year.
I quite like this delicious crab salad, as it’s loaded with tangy lime juice, sweet mango, juicy pineapple, ripe tomatoes, and a little kick from the jalapeno, fresh cilantro, and creamy avocado. And it’s all served over crisp shredded iceberg lettuce.
Unlike many crab salad recipes, I don’t use any mayonnaise or oil to bind together the components. I didn’t see any need for the added fat because the fresh ingredients and jumbo lump crab meat pairs perfectly with the healthy fats in the creamy avocado slices.
We recommend using a fork to gently shred the larger pieces of the crab meat into smaller chunks, as this ensures a consistent mix with the other ingredients. With this no-cook recipe, I prefer using the jumbo lump crab in this recipe, as the flavor stands out more. When making dishes where you cook the crab – like crab cakes – meat from other parts of the crab is a better fit.
I also like to sometimes use finely diced white onion in this recipe. This is especially true if I make it in the day before dining so the onion has time to mesh with the other ingredients. But for a quick meal where I serve the dish immediately after preparation, I opt for diced green onion (as shown in the photos below), as it provides a lovely green color and milder onion flavors that don’t overpower the other ingredients.
All you really need for this meal is some handy knife work, a bit of measuring, and a little mixing!
Fresh Mango Crab Salad
- 8 oz. Jumbo lump crab meat
- ¼ c. Diced Roma tomatoes
- ¼ c. Diced fresh mango
- 1 Large Fresh lime’s juice
- 2 tbsp. Fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. Fresh diced pineapple
- 1 tbsp. Fresh finely diced jalapeno
- 2 tbsp. Diced green onions
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. Paprika
- 1/8 tsp. Celery salt
- 1/8 tsp. Sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1 Sliced avocado
- ½ Shredded iceberg lettuce head
1) Prepare ingredients as directed above.
2) Add the jumbo crab meat to a large mixing bowl and gently break the large pieces into smaller ones with a fork.
3) Add the tomatoes, pineapple, mango, jalapeno, cilantro, and green onions to the crab bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over everything.
4) Mix the salts, peppers, and paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle this over everything in the large bowl.
5) Mix together everything in the large bowl with a fork until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Let the mixture rest together in the refrigerator while you prepare the salad.
6) Shred the iceberg lettuce and set it on the bottom of the serving dish. Top with a sprinkle of extra cilantro.
7) Place the avocado slices over the lettuce.
8) Spoon the crab salad over the avocados and serve.
You can serve this as a meal for two or an appetizer for a party – complete with baked chips.
Check back in every week for more Direct Your Dining recipes to help reduce your energy use in the kitchen while getting creative with delicious dishes!
Recipe and Images by Stacie Morgan