Welcome to Direct Your Dining! This cooking series will introduce you to energy efficient recipes full of tips to keep your meals delicious without using every appliance in the kitchen. Preparing recipes with energy efficiency in mind at least once a week will make cooking a little easier, and may even help reduce your monthly electricity bill. Check in every week for a new recipe full of flavor and creativity that will surely impress your friends and family.
If your Christmas dinner is anything like mine, you have plenty of holiday leftovers in your refrigerator and freezer. This year, crank up the creativity by re-purposing those ingredients with some flatbread! This recipe features a delicious combination of turkey, cranberry sauce, cornbread dressing, and gravy with a crunch of crispy green beans.
Earlier this year, I made a super-easy buffalo turkey flatbread with macaroni and cheese and celery with my family’s Thanksgiving leftovers this year. Well, this flatbread for Christmas leftovers is just as satisfying! Don’t be afraid to get creative with whatever you have on hand. Anything that tasted good together on your plate at Christmas dinner will taste great together on flatbread. Even better, the turkey and citrus berry relish used in today’s recipe is made from my turkey-and-relish duo from Thanksgiving.
Did your family not dine on the ingredients used in this dish? That’s OK! You can easily substitute any of your leftovers! For example, if you made sweet potato casserole or mashed potatoes with ham, gravy, and squash, those flavors still work!
The only cooking in this recipe is to quickly bake the assembled flatbread. To save even more energy on your cook time, pre-microwave the leftovers before placing them on a piece flatbread to reduce how long it takes for them to bake.
Who needs another sandwich when you can make delicious flatbread with your holiday leftovers?
Holiday Leftovers Turkey and Dressing Flatbread
- ½ c. Chopped leftover turkey breast meat (or any protein leftover)
- 1 c. Leftover cornbread dressing (or stuffing as some call it)
- 2 Flatbread (I use premade Naan, but use your preferred premade flatbread)
- ¼ c. Leftover cranberry sauce (I used my homemade citrus berry relish from last month’s DYD)
- ¼ c. Leftover brown or turkey gravy
- ¼ c. Leftover green beans, diced (or any leftover vegetables)
- Cracked black pepper
1) Preheat oven to 415° F (213° C).
2) Microwave the leftovers for 1 minute. This makes your over cooking process faster. Keep the gravy is in its own bowl to be drizzled on top later.
3) Optionally microwave the pre-made flatbread for 20 seconds to warm them as well.
4) Spread the cranberry relish on the flatbread. Sprinkle a little fresh cracked black pepper on top of the berry relish.
5) Add dollops of cornbread dressing and the chopped turkey breast meat evenly on the flatbread.
6) Top the dressing and turkey with the pieces of green beans or chosen vegetables along with any onions or bacon bits that cooked along with the vegetables.
7) Drizzle the brown gravy on top.
8) Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of the flatbread are crispy and golden brown. Cut and serve!
What holiday leftovers are you going to try this year? Share them with us in the comments below!
Enjoy the rest of 2015, and we will be back in January 2016 with more Direct Your Dining recipes ready to save you energy!
Recipe and Images by Stacie Morgan