Welcome to Direct Your Dining! This cooking series will introduce you to energy efficient recipes full of tips to keep your meals delicious without using every appliance in the kitchen. Preparing recipes with energy efficiency in mind at least once a week will make cooking a little easier, and may even help reduce your monthly electricity bill. Check in every week for a new recipe full of flavor and creativity that will surely impress your friends and family.
This week’s recipe is one to keep in mind throughout the holiday season, as there are plenty of times you have an abundance of leftover turkey sitting in the refrigerator.
Most of us use our leftovers to build that classic leftover sandwich. But while I enjoy such a meal myself, I wanted to create an Italian themed turkey salad full of flavor as a fun twist on the typical. And if you want to make this recipe but you don’t have any leftover turkey meat, pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store as an easy substitution.
The briny olives and flavor packed sun-dried tomatoes really add an important punch to this dish inspired by the Caprese salad. The classic ingredients – fresh tomatoes, basil pesto, and mozzarella cheese – are all complemented by the protein-packed turkey meat, seasonings, creamy mayonnaise, Italian dressing and lemon juice. In fact, the Italian dressing and lemon juice add some much-needed zest and acidity to this dish, so do NOT skip these ingredients!
When serving this salad, place it in some bread for a great sandwich, or serve it over lettuce, in a wrap, or even in the hollowed-out avocado halves I’ve used in other Direct Your Dining recipes.
After all the traditional meals and snacks we enjoy during the holiday season, you always need something different to give your stomach a break.
Leftover Turkey Caprese Salad
- 2 ½ c. Leftover white turkey meat (or rotisserie chicken)
- ½ c. Sliced black olives
- 3 tbsp. Sliced Kalamata olives
- ¾ c. Fresh diced Roma tomatoes
- ¼ c. Chopped sun-dried tomatoes (the “soft in olive oil” variety)
- 1 c. Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 c. Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper
- ¼ tsp. Sea salt
- 2 tbsp. Italian dressing (store-bought)
- 2 tbsp. Pesto sauce (store-bought or make your own using Step 2 from this recipe)
- 1 tsp. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
1) Slice the olives and chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
2) Wash the fresh tomatoes and lemon. Dice the tomatoes and squeeze the lemon juice needed for the recipe.
3) Measure out the Italian dressing and pesto.
4) Mix together the seasonings.
5) Dice the leftover turkey breast meat (or rotisserie chicken meat).
6) In a large mixing bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, seasonings, Italian dressing, pesto sauce, and lemon juice until smooth.
7) Add the other ingredients into the whisked mixture. Fold to combine them thoroughly.
8) Serve in your preferred method.
Check back in every week for more Direct Your Dining recipes to help reduce your energy use in the kitchen while getting creative with delicious dishes!
Recipe and Images by Stacie Morgan