Welcome to Direct Your Dining! This cooking series will introduce you to energy efficient recipes full of tips to keep your meals delicious without using every appliance in the kitchen. Preparing recipes with energy efficiency in mind at least once a week will make cooking a little easier, and may even help reduce your monthly electricity bill. Check in every week for a new recipe full of flavor and creativity that will surely impress your friends and family.
Have you been looking for a delicious party snack you can make at home for your next football watch party or festive fall gathering? Look no further than today’s flavor-packed fall snack mix coated with a rich, buttery coating filled with Parmesan cheese, spices, and herbs.
I make quite a few different snack mixes like this, depending upon the season and event. My favorites include classic spicy ranch crackers using canola oil and some amazing lemon pepper oyster crackers I like to serve with steamed lemony garlic mussels as an appetizer for Christmas Eve. As in, don’t be surprised if you see that latter recipe later this year.
Most ingredients added into homemade snack mixes are already salted, and it can be hard to find some of them without salt. Today’s mix is probably my favorite because it is jam-packed with garlic flavor without being too overpowering, and the spices deliver flavor without adding too much salt.
The spice mixture I created for this dish has just a little bit of salt from Old Bay seasoning. This means the almonds and sunflower kernels aren’t over-salted, and the oyster crackers and white cheddar crackers get a savory, salty, and cheesy flavor that is out of this world!
I also use garlic-infused canola oil in this recipe, but if you don’t have this kind of oil available, regular canola oil will suffice and will still taste delicious (just a little less garlicky).
This recipe uses the microwave and less than 20 minutes in the oven for a fast, flavorful, and homemade party appetizer that will be way more inviting and delicious than opening a bag of potato chips.
Spiced Parmesan Garlic Fall Snack Mix
- 2 c. Oyster crackers
- 2 c. White cheddar crackers
- ¾ c. Sunflower kernels
- ¾ c. Almonds (unsalted, all natural)
- 1 Stick melted butter
- 2 tbsp. Garlic infused canola oil
- ¼ c. Chopped parsley (Fresh, freeze dried, or dry)
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- ½ tsp. Paprika
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese (shaved or shredded)
1) Measure out the ingredients as directed above.
2) Melt the butter in the microwave (30 seconds on high and whisk).
3) Add the oil, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, Old Bay, and paprika to the melted butter and whisk together to combine.
4) Add the oyster crackers, white cheddar crackers, sunflower kernels, and almonds to a large mixing bowl and combine.
5) Pour half of the butter mixture in the bowl. Fold with a spatula to coat the crackers and nuts.
6) Pour in the second half of the mixture. Continue to gently fold until everything is evenly coated.
7) Spread the snack mix out on a non-stick baking sheet. Bake at 315° F (157.2° C) for 18 minutes until Parmesan cheese spots are golden brown and butter is absorbed.
8) Right before you serve the finished mix at your event, sprinkle it with extra Parmesan cheese.
This versatile fall snack mix is perfect for a Halloween party – with all the garlic flavor, you will definitely keep the vampires away!
Check back in every week for more Direct Your Dining recipes to help reduce your energy use in the kitchen while getting creative with delicious dishes!
Recipe and Images by Stacie Morgan