Welcome to Direct Your Dining! This cooking series will introduce you to energy efficient recipes full of tips to keep your meals delicious without using every appliance in the kitchen. Preparing recipes with energy efficiency in mind at least once a week will make cooking a little easier, and may even help reduce your monthly electricity bill. Check in every week for a new recipe full of flavor and creativity that will surely impress your friends and family.
As we roll into the third week of January, it can be hard to keep up with your New Year’s Resolutions for healthy eating. Well, don’t give up just yet!
Today’s flavorful and filling vegan street tacos can be prepared in just 15 minutes, and they’re packed with nutrition, fresh ingredients, seasoning, and spices that won’t have you missing the meat this week.
The protein arrives courtesy of the black beans, while keeping cholesterol and fat content low. We then ramp up the flavor of the beans with pico de gallo full of fresh tomatoes, onions, and spicy jalapenos. And with a bit of salt, cumin, and pepper, the beans really sing.
The roasted vegetables are the stars of this recipe. Cauliflower is a great choice for converting a standard recipe to be vegetarian or vegan while still keeping the hearty feel. From buffalo cauliflower in place of buffalo chicken to sesame roasted cauliflower, the options are nearly endless. In today’s dish, the cauliflower is accompanied by sweet bell peppers and onion, all while being roasted in a zesty, flavorful marinade.
The olive oil combines with fresh lime juice, taco seasoning, and roasted garlic to intensify the veggies. The avocado then adds a creamy element and a good source of healthy fat and carbohydrates.
Serve these tacos in mini corn tortillas for handheld, street-style perfection! This recipe is gluten-free and vegan, but I don’t think anyone will be noticing or feeling like they are missing something when they taste these yummy flavors!
Roasted Garlic Vegan Street Tacos
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Orange bell pepper
- 1 Yellow bell pepper
- 1 Small yellow onion
- 1 Cauliflower head
- 1 Large Fresh lime’s juice
- 1 tbsp. Taco seasoning
- 1 tsp. Roasted minced garlic (store-bought in jar)
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- ½ tsp. Cilantro flakes
- 1 Can black beans, drained
- ½ c. Pico de gallo (store-bought)
- ¼ tsp. Cumin
- ¼ tsp. Sea salt
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper
- 1 Large avocado
- Mini corn tortillas
1) Slice the bell peppers and onion into thin strips, Cut the cauliflower into small florets.
2) Place the sliced produce to a large mixing bowl. Combine with the lime juice, taco seasoning, olive oil, and roasted minced garlic.
3) Place the seasoned vegetables on a sheet tray and roast in the oven at 425 °F (218.3 °C) for 15 minutes.
4) While the vegetables are cooking, drain the can of black beans and add them to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute to heat.
5) Mix the beans with the pico de gallo, cumin, salt, and pepper.
6) Microwave the tortillas for 10 seconds. Slice the avocado into thin slices.
7) To build each taco, place the avocado slices first, followed by the roasted vegetables, and then spoon the beans on top. Garnish with extra chopped cilantro.
Check back in every week for more Direct Your Dining recipes to help reduce your energy use in the kitchen while getting creative with delicious dishes!
Recipe and Images by Stacie Morgan