The Direct Energy Wellness series is designed to help you establish and maintain healthy living habits in the workplace. Our wellness experts will introduce you to a range of tips to keep your body and mind in tip-top shape – including exercises you can do at your desk!
Welcome to 2016! If you’re looking to begin the New Year with new healthy habits, it can be easy to get bogged down in big ideas and new practices. Instead, make a series of small changes that result in a big impact.
1) Set Simple Goals. Pick one new health goal to add each month. Trying to accomplish several goals in one month can be overwhelming. It’s a marathon, not a sprint!
2) Eat More Berries. Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, or any other favorite berries are rich in antioxidants, which can help lower the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and several types of cancer.
Simple Exercise Tips
1) Begin walking daily for 10 – 30 minutes outdoors or on a treadmill. Pick 3 of your favorite songs and walk to them! This will make it easy to get your daily minimum walking accomplished.
2) Try Office-Seated Leg Raises. These desk exercises are a great way to strengthen your core while, stabilize your knees and hips, and maintain good balance at your desk! You will work your thigh muscle(s) and hip flexors, as well as your abdominal and lower back muscles.
- Sit up tall in your seat and rest your elbows on your arm chair.
- Keep your left leg bent and left foot planted flat on the floor
- Extend the right leg and keep it straight throughout the raising and lowering motion.
- Raise your right leg 3 – 5 feet from the floor and lower back to the floor tapping your heel and repeat 15 repetitions.
- Switch to the left leg and repeat steps 2 – 4 for 3 sets.
- For more of a challenge, fold your arms across your chest and repeat steps 1 – 5. Feel the burn!
Please consult your physician before beginning a new exercise regimen or making dietary changes.
How are you looking to charge up your health in 2016? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments, and we’ll see you in two weeks for another installment of Direct Energy Wellness!