The Direct Energy Wellness series is designed to help you establish and maintain healthy living habits in the workplace. Our wellness experts will introduce you to a range of tips to keep your body and mind in tip-top shape – including exercises you can do at your desk!
“We live by the myth that stress is the enemy in our lives. The real enemy is our failure to balance stress with intermittent rest. Push the body too hard for too long — chronic stress — and the result will indeed be burnout and breakdown.” – Harvard Business Review
Too much stress results in elevated cortisol levels, which can cause the following problems:
- Anxiety and/or depression
- Sleep problems
- Weight gain
- Memory and concentration impairment
- Immune system suppression
- Gastrointestinal (Digestive) problems
- Cardiovascular disease – aka heart disease
- Fertility problems
What should we do about our stress? We can’t eliminate it completely from our lives. In fact, moderate amounts of stress are essential to our productivity and lifestyle.
But how do we manage chronic stress and reduce its debilitating effects? We’ve collected some of the best methods below:
- Exercise – Physical activity is one of the best ways to battle stress. Vigorous exercise is best, but even a 30-minute walk every day is extremely helpful. Get out there!
- Simply Breathing – Inhale for four counts, and exhale for four. Do this for just ten breaths, and you should feel a bit calmer.
- Sleep – Get more and better quality sleep. Most adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Practice Gratitude Daily – Keep a gratitude journal or just remind yourself of one thing you are thankful for each day.
While stress isn’t the enemy, we do need to find ways to manage chronic stress so it doesn’t wreak havoc on our bodies, minds, and happiness!
What suggestions do you have for defeating stress in your life? Share your tips in the comments, and be sure to return on February 5th, 2016 for another installment of Direct Energy Wellness.