Welcome to Direct Your Dining! This cooking series will introduce you to energy efficient recipes full of tips to keep your meals delicious without using every appliance in the kitchen. Preparing recipes with energy efficiency in mind at least once a week will make cooking a little easier, and may even help reduce your monthly electricity bill. Check in every week for a new recipe full of flavor and creativity that will surely impress your friends and family.
Welcome to 2017! Direct Your Dining is here to help you reach those New Year’s resolutions and goals when it comes to eating healthy with this week’s low to no energy use recipe that is light and satisfying. This week we are featuring a delicious and easy to make lettuce wrap recipe featuring roast turkey breast meat and classic Italian ingredients like tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, basil, and balsamic vinegar.
I went ahead and picked up a roasted turkey breast from the rotisserie area at my local grocery store, but don’t worry if your local store doesn’t have this item. You can make a turkey breast in a slow cooker for a low energy approach, pick up a rotisserie chicken instead, or even grab a box of the carving style turkey breast meat featured right by the other classic lunch meats at the store. If you need a little help figuring out how to make a turkey breast in the slow cooker, just season a bone in turkey breast with a pinch of sea salt and pepper, squeeze a little lemon juice on top, pour an inch of chicken stock in the bottom of the cooker, place the breast in the cooker, and cook on low for 6-7 hours until the meat is easily pulled. Discard the bone and skin and you have turkey breast meat ready for this recipe! If you really want to cut calories on this recipe, skip the olive oil and the mozzarella cheese and add a few extra tomatoes on each wrap instead. If you just can’t see yourself giving up your bread or tortilla, you can just wrap all of this up (lettuce included) in a whole wheat tortilla and still keep it pretty fit!
Light and Fit Italian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients (Makes about 12 individual wraps):
- 1 Shredded roast turkey breast (approx. 2 c. meat)
- 1 Butter lettuce head
- 1 c. Sliced hearts of palm
- ¾ c. Sliced black olives
- ½ c. Capers
- 2 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar (thicker, sweeter variety)
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- ½ tbsp. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Parsley flakes
- ¼ tsp. Sea salt
- ¼ tsp. Red chili flakes
- 1 c. Sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 c. Mini sliced fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- 2-3 Mini basil leaves per wrap
1) Take the turkey breast (whether bought from rotisserie at the store, made in the slow cooker, or substituting in rotisserie chicken meat) and remove the skin.
2) Gently pull the meat apart by hand to prepare for the wraps.
3) Wash the produce, drain the capers, and drain the olives. Slice any ingredients as directed in the ingredients list.
4) Measure the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley flakes, sea salt, and red chili flakes. Mix together.
5) Add the capers, olives, and sliced hearts of palm slices to a mixing bowl.
6) Add the seasoning mixture, olive oil, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar to the bowl and toss to coat.
7) Place the lettuce leaves on a plate. Then place a handful of shredded turkey on top.
8) Add the sliced tomatoes, mozzarella ball pieces, and mini basil leaves on each lettuce wrap.
9) Spoon the Italian topping on last and be sure to drizzle on a little extra of the seasoned balsamic vinegar/olive oil mixture from the bottom of the bowl.
Check back in every week for more Direct Your Dining recipes to help reduce your energy use in the kitchen while getting creative with delicious dishes!
Recipe and Images by Stacie Morgan