The Direct Energy Wellness series is designed to help you establish and maintain healthy living habits, not only in the workplace but in your everyday lives. Our wellness expert – Terrick Smith – will introduce you to a range of tips to keep your overall wellbeing in tip-top shape! With topics ranging from exercise, nutrition, self-improvement, and motivational tips to mental and financial wellness, he’ll have something for everyone.
With the arrival of each new year, we want to press the reset button to make our lives different than in years past – or at least to reclaim old glories. At least that’s what we tell ourselves mentally. Usually by the third or fourth month of the new year, we’ve pushed our goals aside, and next thing we know, a newer year has arrived, and you need to create new resolutions.
For this year (and beyond!), I want to offer you fresh twist on setting goals, as these will be easy to manage consistently and not difficult to accomplish. Consider these 5 New Year’s Resolutions as essential basics – the foundation of bigger changes to come!
1) Get 7 hours of sleep (or more!) per day.
Doing so can improve or maintain healthy brain functions and your emotional well-being. This will then help you make better decisions and have a healthier attitude daily.
2) Eat a rainbow of colors.
This means dining from the entire food pyramid daily to keep your body and brain working efficiently. Explore new foods from across the whole color spectrum!
3) Value each day.
View every opportunity as a chance to get better and improve. Stop looking too far ahead, and choose instead to be in the moment. This can help you make better decisions for yourself, family, and/or workplace.
4) Enhance your network.
This could mean getting out of your comfort zone entirely to meet people outside your industry or immediate circle of family and friends. Become more active networking with colleagues across another industry at your workplace or outside of the office. It will take some effort, but eventually you will feel more comfortable as it becomes part of who you are.
5) Exercise or become more active.
This will be the simplest of them all. I strongly recommend you buy a wearable activity device to monitor your movement. Either set your own fitness goals or use these as a jumping-off point:
- For maintenance: Aim for 7,500 steps or more per day
- For improved health with some results: Aim for 10,000 steps or more per day
- For improved health and weight loss/body composition change: Aim for 15,000 steps or more per day.
- Explore new activities like weight lifting, yoga, or Pilates.
- Try jogging for 40 minutes and then walking for 1 hour on different days but for the same distance. Compare how you feel and see if there is a difference. They both have benefits, but remember to achieve your activity goal of steps taken in a day. More importantly, the real goal is for you to become more active and consistent with your exercise regimen.
The point of these resolutions is to affirm that your mental makeup and physical wellbeing should always come first! When you take care of yourself, you’re better able to care for others, whether in your personal or professional life.
Continue coming back to the Live Brighter Blog throughout the rest of 2017, as we will deliver great detail and depth into the tips above and much more! We want the whole you to receive the information and encouragement you need for a mentally well and physically healthy year!