Direct Energy Celebrates 1st Solar Customer – BJ’s Wholesale Club

Direct Energy Celebrates 1st Solar Customer BJs 1Direct Energy Business prides itself on “Making Businesses Better,” and that’s just what its recent partnership with SolarCity aims to do. In Fall 2013, Direct Energy and SolarCity created a dedicated investment fund capable of financing up to $124 million in solar projects for Direct Energy’s commercial and industrial customers. The result? Direct Energy had the pleasure of celebrating its first solar customer on March 18, 2014 – BJ’s Wholesale Club in the North Brunswick, NJ.

Thanks to the solar partnership, SolarCity installed 1,664 Trina Solar 240W panels on the roof of the BJ’s Wholesale Club location. This On-site, clean renewable generation will cover 18% of the facility’s annual energy use. Direct Energy will supply the remaining 82% through its industry-leading PowerPortfolio product.

The following are some interesting statistics about the solar project:

Size of the project 

  • Solar system capacity: 400kW
  • Solar panels: 1,664
  • Square feet of rooftop: 110,000


  • Estimated savings on the electricity produced by solar: 10%
  • Pounds of CO2 offset over the life of the system: 15 million
  • Number of trees it would take to offset equivalent amount of CO2: 670,000

This was a great event showcasing Direct Energy Business’ ability to provide a customer with a diverse range of energy options. For more information about solar offerings via Direct Energy, click here.

This post was written by Andrea Romo, External Relations Specialist for Direct Energy.

Images courtesy of Jen Vitale.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply