Kick off your week with a healthy dinner full of fresh ingredients and flavors, all while skipping the meat. The key to a successful Meatless Monday dinner is feeling satisfied by still including a protein source. By introducing more sustainable foods to your weekly diet, Meatless Monday will improve personal health and make the world a little greener. Check out www.meatlessmonday.com for more information on the amazing benefits and impact doing this just once a week can do for you and your family.
Get ready to prepare a fresh and easy dinner tonight by making these protein packed spinach tortilla wraps. The only cooking required to prepare this flavorful, healthy wrap is caramelizing a red onion for a sweet yet savory dimension. This powerhouse of nutrition will not only make it easy to skip the meat this Monday, but it could become a healthy staple in your home for many Mondays to come!
The filling is made of chickpeas, small white beans, and kidney beans tossed with fresh basil and a delicious lemon vinaigrette dressing. Spinach is an excellent plant source of protein and iron, and chickpeas and beans are also excellent meatless sources of protein!
If you don’t have the time to make your own vinaigrette for these wraps, you can substitute your favorite store-bought vinaigrette whether it’s a citrus, red wine, balsamic, or even classic Italian vinaigrette dressing!
Protein Packed Spinach Tortilla Wraps
- 1 Pack spinach tortilla wraps
- 1 Bag fresh baby spinach
- 1 Can chickpeas
- 1 Can red kidney beans
- 1 Can small white beans
- 1 Bunch fresh basil, sliced or torn
- 1 Large red onion
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt, Pepper, and Paprika (sprinkle for onions)
- ½ c. Lemon Vinaigrette dressing (recipe below)
1) Remove skin from red onion. Slice off the root end and tip and discard. Cut onion into medium thin slices. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan with onions and slowly cook over medium to medium low heat. Stir every couple of minutes to prevent sticking or burning.
2) After about 30 minutes, onion should be nice and caramelized. Deglaze the pan with a couple tablespoons of water. Season the finished onions with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and paprika.
3) Drain and rinse the chickpeas, white beans, and kidney beans. In a medium sized bowl, mash half of the can of white beans (to bind). Then fold the remaining beans and chickpeas together with the mashed white beans, sliced/torn basil, and vinaigrette.
4) Warm the tortilla wrap for a few seconds in the microwave. Fill tortilla with fresh baby spinach, the three bean salad mixture, and caramelized onions.
5) Fold and roll the wrap into a burrito shape, stick a toothpick in each half to hold wrap together, cut in half, and serve! I like to serve mine with sea salt kettle chips and bread and butter pickles.
Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
- ½ c. Olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. Lemon juice
- ½ tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp. Honey
- ½ tsp. Sea salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- Combine all ingredients except the olive oil. Whisk them together.
- Slowly pour olive oil into the other ingredients while whisking. Will yield approximately ¾ cup of dressing.
- Toss with the chickpeas and beans immediately and store extra ¼ cup in the refrigerator for later use.
In next week’s installment of Meatless Monday, I’ll share a special pasta salad that’s perfect for your Labor Day party.
Recipe and Images by Stacie Morgan.