Kick off your week with a healthy dinner full of fresh ingredients and flavors, all while skipping the meat. The key to a successful Meatless Monday dinner is feeling satisfied by still including a protein source. By introducing more sustainable foods to your weekly diet, Meatless Monday will improve personal health and make the world a little greener. Check out www.meatlessmonday.com for more information on the amazing benefits and how doing this just once a week can impact you and your family.
This week’s recipe is a super-simple grilled cheese stuffed with pimento cheese spread and then spiced up with candied jalapenos and Sriracha sauce. My sweet-and-spicy pimento cheese spread is always a crowd favorite, no matter the occasion. The candied jalapenos in this spread are not nearly as harsh and spicy as fresh jalapenos, and they add an extra layer of flavor when compared to classic pickled jalapenos.
This recipe requires hardly any kitchen appliances and is incredibly easy to make! The only part that involves any cooking is grilling the sandwich in a nonstick pan. The creamy, flavorful spread is very filling and includes plenty of different protein-dense cheeses. The taste of the sweet, hot jalapenos combined with the sriracha sauce adds a spicy twist to a milder pimento cheese spread. This grilled cheese pairs perfectly with a bowl of your favorite tomato soup garnished with some of the cheese and jalapeno used in the spread.
Even better – this recipe is really diverse! Use it in grilled cheese, to stuff jalapenos and mini bell peppers as party appetizers, as a dip for carrots and celery, and even as a mix in with polenta.
Let’s get ready to whip this sandwich up together!
Sweet Heat Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 c. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 c. Mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ c. Sharp White Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ c. Green onions, finely sliced
- ¼ c. Candied Jalapenos, chopped
- ¼ c. Pimentos, chopped
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c. Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha sauce
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- ½ tsp. Paprika
- ½ tsp. Celery salt
- Loaf Challah bread
- Butter, softened
- Prep ingredients (cutting onions/chopping peppers/shredding cheese) as directed in ingredients list.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, fold the softened cream cheese and mayonnaise together using a spatula. Add the Sriracha sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and celery salt to the bowl and mix all together.
- Add the shredded cheeses, chopped pimentos, chopped sweet jalapenos, and sliced green onions to the creamy mixture and fold together using the spatula. At this point, the spread is done and can be used immediately for sandwiches or saved in the refrigerator for future use.
- Cut the loaf of Challah bread into even sized slices approximately ½ to 1 inch thick. Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each piece of bread. Spoon a layer of the cheese spread on the non-buttered side and top with a second piece of bread to prepare sandwiches.
- Heat nonstick pan over medium heat and place sandwich in pan. Grill approximately 2-3 minutes on each side until the sandwich is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut finished grilled cheese sandwiches into halves or quarters and serve with your favorite tomato soup!
Enjoy this delightful sweet heat pimento grilled cheese, and I will see you next Monday for another installment of Meatless Monday!
Recipe and Photos by Stacie Morgan