Who Do I Call if My Home Loses Power in Bad Weather?

Who Do I Call if My Home Loses Power in Bad Weather?

Losing your power is NEVER fun, but when it happens during a bad storm like Hurricane Patricia, that can get really nerve-wracking. If this ever happens, you must call your local Texas utility company immediately. It’s the utility company for your area that fixes any problems with the lines, poles, and meters delivering electricity.

Who Do I Call if My Home Loses Power in Bad Weather?

Here are the five major utility companies for Texas:

  • Oncor (Dallas / Fort Worth area and into Central & East Texas)1-888-313-4747
  • CenterPoint (Greater Houston area) – 1-800-332-7143
  • AEP North (The Panhandle and West Texas)1-866-223-8058
  • AEP Central (South Texas and the Greater Rio Grande Valley area)1-866-223-8508
  • TNMP1-888-866-7456

If you don’t see your utility company on this list, it means you live in a regulated area of the state. We recommend that you look at your most recent electricity bill for your outage info.

If you are a Direct Energy customer, please do NOT call us to report your outage. As much as we want you to get power back as soon as possible, we are unable to assist with correcting a power outage caused by the bad weather, and we cannot contact your utility company on your behalf.

Related Posts


Born and raised in Southeast Texas, Adam P. Newton never acquired the charming accent that most life-long Texans possess in spades, but he’s OK with that. Adam currently creates and curates online content for Direct Energy. Before his career in content marketing, Adam spent several years toiling as a freelance music journalist.

Leave a Reply