What is the role of my local utility company?
Your local utility company delivers the electricity that flows into your home. The utility company is responsible for the lines, poles, pipes, meters, power outages, repairs, and other issues with how energy gets to your home. For example, if a storm blows down a power line or a car hits a utility pole, your utility company still fixes the problem and restores your power.
Your utility company continues to be responsible for:
- Delivery of electricity to all users in their service area
- Reliability and safety of the electricity or natural gas distribution system
- Maintenance of the poles, wires, and pipes
- Meter readings and maintenance
- Providing customer services related to the electricity or natural gas distribution system such as cable/pipe locations and 24-hour emergency service
- Connecting and disconnecting the customer's property to the electricity or natural gas distribution system
If you have questions about how electricity and/or natural gas are generated and distributed to your home, please call Direct Energy at 1-855-461-1926 or your local utility/distribution company.
Want to contact a customer care representative?
Please visit Contact Us and select your state of residence to view the contact information for your area.