Moving Timeline & Checklist
For a printable version of our Moving Timeline and Checklist click here.
Everything You Need To Do Before, During and After a Move
2 Months Out
- Make your own timeline. Start planning out your move a couple of months ahead and create a list of things you need to get done.
- Declutter. Have a garage sale or make a charitable donation.
- Contact realtor.
1.5 Months Out
- Get supplies: boxes, tape, packing, markers, etc.
- Make travel plans. For far away moves, arrange airfare, hotels, car rental, etc.
1 Month Out
- Call Direct Energy to speak with a Personal Move Assistant and let us Direct Your Move.
- Finish up current home repairs.
- Start packing. Begin with things you use infrequently.
- Organize boxes. Pack jewelry, valuables and medical or school documents separate.
- Update your records. Notify bank, insurance company, employer, subscription services, credit cards and doctors of new address.
- Move confirmation. Get date, cost and insurance confirmation from movers. Read the fi¬ne print.
- Send copies of school records to new school.
2 Weeks Out
- Time off. Ask for the right amount of time off from work.
- Safe deposit box. Put valuables in a security box for moving.
- Clean up. Hire cleaners to get new home and old home ready.
- Make a Kids Kit. Coloring books, crayons and games are a great way to keep kids from boredom.
- Schedule sitters for kids and pets on moving day.
1 Week Out
- If renting, set up ¬final walkthrough with landlord to get security deposit back.
- Secure all your important documents, jewelry and other valuables to transport them yourself so they don't get lost.
Few Days Out
- Defrost, empty and clean refrigerator.
- Reconfi¬rm movers' arrival time and contact info.
- Pack your plants.
- Get cash for movers' tip, food and other lastminute items.
- Final walk-through. Check closets, drawers, cabinets and garage. Turn o lights, back lock windows and doors.
- Get connected. Make sure your current utilities are disconnected (electricity, gas, water, etc.) the day after you move and ensure that your new utility services are connected the day before you move into your new home.
- Pack a bag for the fi¬rst night in your new home. Include multi-tool, change of clothes toiletries, medicine, plastic eating utensils, toys, blankets and pillows, charging cords, and trash bags.
- Check that all items are off moving truck. Review bill of lading (list of shipped items).